No matter what type of window treatment you have chosen for your windows, taking the correct measurement is a crucial step for properly fitting your coverings. While this may seem easy, measuring your window correctly involves a number of technicalities to get the best fit. Therefore, in this article, we are going to share the best way to ensure you correctly measure window blinds. This blinds measuring guide will prove to be very helpful for you. So, without further ado, let’s dive into it!
What to Consider Before You Measure Window Blinds
Before we get into the blind measuring part of our guide, it’s important to know whether you are measuring your windows for inside or outside mount coverings.
- Outside mount window coverings: These are installed on the outside of the window frames, often on the trim above the window. As these are not fitted inside the window frames, they are generally considered a more flexible option. They work great for doors and shallow windows.
- Inside mount window coverings: This type of window treatment fits on the inside of the window frame. This style does not cover the window frames, providing a clean and trim look, and takes up less space. Most window coverings are inside mount.
Steps for Measuring Your Window For Blinds
No matter whether you are measuring for an inside or outside mount window covering, you will need to take different measurements for your treatment. For both:
- Do not take any deduction for your measurements. Any necessary adjustments will be made by the designers or the craftsmen.
- Double-check every measurement. Any mistake in measuring your window can be a costly mistake.
How to Measure Your Window for Outside Mount Blinds
- Start measurement at least 2 inches above the window frame.
- Now measure the width of the area over the window you want to cover. This will generally be 1-2 inches more on each side of the window, depending on how much space you want to cover on both sides.
- In the outside mount windows, there is a headrail on top of the window frame. This will go above the window frame. So, measure down the length you want for your window covering from the headrail. Or, if you have a protruding window sill, the length should go to the sill only, not lower than the sill.
How to Measure Your Window for Inside Mount Blinds
- Measure the depth of the window frame. For inside mount window covering, it should have a minimum depth inside the window for proper installation.
- Take the measurement for the width of your window at three different places, at the top, middle, and bottom of the window. Now use the narrowest of the three widths as your ‘width’ measurement.
- Similarly, take the height of your window at three different places, at the furthest left, center, and furthest right points. Use the longest of the three measurements as your height measurement.
How to Measure Your Window for Inside Mount Vertical Blinds
Inside mount vertical blinds fit inside of the window frame, giving a sleek, clean, and built-in look that preserves the appearance of the woodwork.
- These installations are flushed inside the window frames or extended from wall to wall.
- Inside installation for vertical blinds requires at least 2 ½ inches of space behind each track to open vertical slats.
- Requires 3 inches of depth for flush inside mount and 2 inches for standard inside mounts.
Here’s how to measure your window for inside mount vertical blinds:
Measure the width at three different places, top, middle, and bottom. Note the smallest of these three as your required width.
Measure the height at three different places, leftmost side, middle, and rightmost side. Now note the smallest of the three as the required length of your vertical blinds. It is recommended that all vertical blinds hang at least 1 inch off the floor or the window sill for optimal performance.
How to Measure Your Window for Outside Mount Vertical Blinds
Outside mount blinds are perfect for windows that are shallow to support the installation of inside mount blinds. They can be mounted to the ceiling, wall, or window frame. They can be used to make your windows appear larger. Here are few important facts to know about how to measure your window outside mount blinds:
- This is an ideal option for window frames that are not deep enough to support inside mount installation.
- Outside mount installation allows you to mount headrails to the wall, ceiling, or window frame.
- These create an appearance of added height to the room.
Follow these instructions to get an accurate measurement of your window for outside mount vertical blinds.
Take a measurement of the full width of the area you want to cover with your vertical blinds. If there is sufficient room on your wall or ceiling, add 3 to 6 inches of additional space on each side of the window to create an additional light blockage.
Now measure the full height of the area you want to cover with your vertical blinds. Leave at least 1 ⅞ inch of flat space for mounting brackets. It is recommended to leave at least 1-inch space between the floor and window sill for vertical blind installation.
How to Measure Your Window for Inside Mount Roller Blinds?
Inside mount roller blinds require precise fitting in order to look good. This is why you need to measure them carefully. Here are the simple steps you need to take to measure your window for inside mount roller blinds:
Take measurements of your window at three different places: top, middle, and bottom. The smallest of these three is the width for your outside mount roller blinds.
Measure the height of the window for blinds at three different places: left side, middle, and right side. The smallest of these is the required length for your roller blinds.
How to Measure Your Window for Outside Mount Roller Blinds?
These are usually mounted on the upper molding of the window, or on the wall just above it, or on the ceiling. Outside mount roller blinds are made larger, in both width and height, than the window so that they can cover the entire window. They provide a perfect light blockage as they extend beyond the window opening.
Like inside mount roller blinds, you have the option of installing dual shades for even better privacy or light blockage. As outside mount roller blinds are a little larger than the window itself, measuring for these is comparatively easy. You can make your window appear as much larger and taller as you want.
Measuring for Curtains
While blinds and shades are good for a custom fit, curtains are a little trickier. Curtains can be both inside and outside mount, but they always need to be much wider than the window itself. Generally, the curtains are at least twice as wide as the actual window. This makes it a little easier to take the correct measurements for your windows. Now your main focus is on the length you desire for the required look of your curtains.
Hopefully, after going through our blinds measuring guide, you will have a better idea of what to do. Knowing how to properly measure your window for blinds is important. It ensures that you buy the right kind of window treatments for your interior. Whatever type of window treatment you select, measuring the window correctly is very important to create the desired ambiance in your room.
Also, the right measurements are equally important to ensure the smooth and correct installation of the window coverings you have selected. We hope our measuring guide answers all your questions. If you still have any queries, you can get in touch with one of our experts to clarify any details. Most importantly, you can get in touch with our experts to have your blinds fitted professionally.